What is responsive web design?
Responsive web design (RWD) is an approach to web development whereby a website is designed in order to provide the best viewing experience across a wide range of devices, from desktops to iPads, other tablets and smart phones. Visits to websites from mobiles and tablets keep growing fast. Despite the latest reports that only 9% of the top 1 million websites are “mobile-ready” (mongoosemetrics).
Advantages of Web Responsive Design
Lower development costs
Increase satisfaction rate by customers
Search Engine Optimisation
1. Keeping your desktop and mobile content on a single URL, which is easier for your users to interact with, share, and link to and for Google’s algorithms to assign the indexing properties to your content.
2. Google can discover your content more efficiently as it would need to crawl a page with the different Googlebot user agents to retrieve and index all the content.
This is how we work
Responsive design is an effective and time-saving way of approaching the delivery of content to multiple devices and displays. We use the Agile Method to manage all our projects because we, and many other people, believe it to be the project management method that best combines with web responsive design. Agile is an iterative method of determining requirements in a highly flexible and interactive manner. The Agile Method ensures that value is optimised throughout the development process.
Agile Projects have multiple ‘iterations’ where clients’ requirements and solutions evolve through collaboration and it encourages rapid and flexible response to change.
For web responsive development, this approach is key. Using an agile approach, each iteration can result in a releasable ‘version’.
This approach prioritises:
– Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
– Working software over comprehensive documentation
– Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
– Responding to change over following a plan
Starting from a ‘mobile first’ display, you can add modules or expand the components with each iteration. As you move through the iterations you have the ability you can adjust each display design as you finalise the previous one.
These are our tools